Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Reflection

My experience as an ESL instructor so far is a blessing. By the end of this session all my students passed their final exams and were passed onto the next higher level of English. It was memorable when I handed my students their grades and they asked to take a picture of me with them and thanked me and asked if I could be there teacher for the next session. I learned so much in teaching a English language learner. I learned that speaking slowly, writing on the board, and showing visuals is important for them. I learned that incorporating their language or their culture to the lesson means so much to them, it shows an act of kindness, and they appreciate it, they see that you took time to write words in their language to help them understand the concept easier. I learned that it takes patience, flexibility, creativity, and passion to educate students. Most of all, I learned that even though we all come from a different culture or speak a different language, a smile is a universal expression to make your ELL feel at ease, comfortable, and welcomed in your class. I look forward to my new students next session and I look forward to learning new ways of teaching and also learning from my students. I must admit I have found my calling in life and it feels great to study so hard and be able to get hands on experience of teaching and seeing the hard work that is put in, but I also get to see the rewards that come with teaching. I wouldn't give it up for any other career.

Definitions:

Culture- Noun- The customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social group; also : the characteristic features of everyday existence (as diversions or a way of life} shared by people in a place or time

Language- Noun- The words, their pronunciation, and the methods of combining them used and understood by a community.

Universal- Adjective- Existent or operative everywhere or under all conditions.

Rewards- Verb- To give a reward to or for.

Instructor- Noun- One that instructs : teacher; especially : a college teacher below professorial rank.

Concept-Adjective- Organized around a main idea or theme.

Practice:

Using the words above place them in the correct space in the sentence below.

Someone who is teaches in the college level is know as an ________.

Sometimes the _____________in class can be confusing.

I believe that teaching comes with many__________.

Every one has a ___________that they use to communicate with others.

A smile is a ______________ expression.

Everyone belongs to a _________________.


Grammar:

A verb refers to an action.

For example: In early October, Giselle planted twenty tulip bulbs.

The boy jumped over the moon.

The girl ran to school.

Look over the reflection and write down at least 5 verbs you find in the reading. Write a sentence for each verb.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy that you are pleased with your choice of ESL teaching as a career. You will be great at it!

    ReplyDelete